For Peg and Walt this is their third passive solar home. They have learned much over the last 36 years and have put it all into the design and systems of this craftsman style contemporary home in Milford, OH.
If you missed the incredible Fischer Residence USGBC Green Home tour last Fall, you can only see it Sunday June 5, 2016 from 1 to 4 pm. It's on the Green Energy Ohio Tour Across Ohio June 3, 4 and 5. The Fischer Residence is only on the tour June 5, here's the page with the home's information.
2015 Solar Home Tour Information
• Solar panels (8 KW system); US made panels; total cost $25,600. Vendor: Dovetail Solar & Wind. Will produce 10,400 KW annually. Installed March 2015
• Pella 350 series triple pane windows w high efficiency Eglass, argon gas filled and foam insulated frame.
• R49 ceilings/R23 walls 2”x6” walls;
• KNAUF Jetstream Ultra blown in fiberglass insulation.
• 16 SEER heat pump
• LED lights were used through the house when available.
• Induction cooktop
• Heat pump water heater (also acts as dehumidifier for basement)
• Operable window in front dormer vents out hot air for cooling.
• Window placement: 80% of glass is oriented to the south. (solar shades and wood shutters for reducing infrared during summer months)
• Honeywell True Fresh EVR (EnergyRecoveryVentilator) which provides 70% heat recovery
• Propane furnace for heat below 23 degrees outside temperature (used $120 in propane last season
• Basement under slab insulation (Crete heat floor panels) with Pex tubing for future radiant heated floors (R10)
• Carpeting 100% recycled materials
AGE IN PLACE
• Bathroom counters 6” higher than usual
• Comfort height commodes; low (1.5 gallon) flush
• Walkin (no step) shower
• All doorways and hallways are handicapped accessible widths
• One floor living: all major living areas are on the first floor, includes circuit panel, bathrooms, laundry, kitchen, office, master bedroom suite
OTHER COMFORT AND SAFETY FEATURES
• Screened in porch (all sides, including bottom)
• Tornado room: basement area includes 6’ by 30’ full concrete shelter on north side of house.
Built March 2014
Rod Sabo, Architect
Energy Star 5 Star+ Rated home
42 hers rating without solar panels
12 HERS rating with solar panels